UPDATED February 10, 2022 This piece has been updated to reflect the emergence of new technology
Christian Mathews Security Writer
Keeping a house safe has become a lot more complicated. With the proliferation of technology in security systems, the market is flooded with many types of electric door locks for home that offer a wide range of security options.
Electric door locks represent the newest technology in house safety. While they are comparatively more expensive than traditional deadbolt or strike locks, they are more effective and come equipped with advanced security features.
More importantly, electric locks work very well with smart security systems. They can be easily integrated with the home security systems like doorbell systems for home, making the whole system seamless and smooth. These locks can be controlled remotely. They are difficult to crack and tamper with, ensuring that whatever you have locked with the doors and windows is safe from theft.
We have compiled everything there is to know about electric door locks for home and safety mechanisms so that you can upgrade your home and ensure its safety. We will discuss the types of locks, their defining features, design, and quality. With this information, you can make an educated choice for the kind of lock you want.
1. Electric Door Strike
Electric door strikes are often used as an alternative to the manual strike faceplate. The latch mechanism in the electric door strike works similarly to the manual lock, except that it is automated.
2. Electric Lock Sliding Door
The market has a few options for sliding doors if that is what you are looking for. Sliding doors look aesthetically pleasing, but they are challenging to secure. You can use smart electric locks to secure the sliding doors of your house. They are much more secure compared to the traditional locks used in sliding doors. Smart electric locks can also be controlled remotely.
3. Magnetic Locks
These locks are made from electromagnets and a metal plate. The electromagnet is placed on the door frame while the armature is fitted to the door itself. The electric current runs through the magnet and keeps the door securely locked.
These locks are the most affordable options available on the market when it comes to electric door locks. They are reliable, easy to install, and dismantle. It is best to use these locks to secure regular doors with additional security features already in place.
4. Wireless Electric Door Lock
Wireless electric door locks are the smartest locks available in the market and possibly the best remote door locks for home and possibly the best remote door locks for home. These locks run on the WIFI network and can be connected to the broader security system installed in your home. Wireless locks can be remotely controlled using a separate remote or your smartphone. These can also include biometric, and Bluetooth enables locks. Bluetooth locks are often used in cars, while biometric locks are used to secure safes or an important room.
5. Electric Bolt Lock For Frameless Glass Door
Electric bolt locks are used for doors and cabinets inside the house. They work really well for cabinets that have frameless glass doors. These locks are quite similar to deadbolt bolts, but with added security features.
Most electric bolt locks are compatible with security systems available on the market. They are easy to install and come with a failsafe mode.
6. Electric Door Lock Conversion Kit
An electric door conversion kit contains all the necessary tools required to fix and replace a manual lock with an electric lock. This kit comes in handy when you are replacing manual locks on your doors and windows with electric locks. These are the items that should be present in your home electric door lock conversion kit:
- Electric window motor (left and right)
- Retainer mug
- Speed nut
- Gears and brackets
- Rubber bush
With these basic items, you will be all prepped to handle any electric door lock conversion and installation type.
7. How To Install Electric Strike Door Lock
Electric strike door locks have a simple installation process. Generally, the electric door locks take the place of the existing strike lock. However, if you are installing electric door locks for your house in a new location, refer to the tips below to ensure you have a smooth installation process:
- Make sure you cut the mold according to the precise dimensions of the lock. You will have to drill the lock into place accordingly.
- Read the instruction manual provided by the manufacturer before installing the lock. The manual should have detailed instructions on the installation process.
- Make sure you have your wiring in order before placing the electric door lock. The wires should be connected to a power source that is safe and secure.
- It is also essential to check the fire safety codes of your building before installing the electric lock.
- Finally, once the lock is installed, be sure to test the system. Make sure to test if all the connections and mechanisms are functioning as they should. Test the lock by simulating extreme situations such as a break-in or a fire safety exercise.
- Also, check the access controls and keep a manual override setting if things go south with the electric door locks for home.
You may want to consider Apple Homekit door lock as one of the many options available. Hopefully, this article helped you with everything there is to know about electric locks. In a world where crime is on the rise, you must upgrade your home security systems. It will help you worry less about the safety and security of your loved ones.