UPDATED February 10, 2022 This piece has been updated to reflect the emergence of new technology
Christian Mathews Security Writer
Google Home is a smart speaker from Google. It gives a tough fight to its competitor Amazon Echo, Amazon’s smart speaker. Just like Echo can play music and communicate with voice assistant Alexa. Google Home is a smart speaker and is regulated by its voice assistant, Google Assistant. For many new to smart homes, many are asking how do you set up Google Home and even which is better Alexa or Google Home. We’ll cover that and more below.
1How Do I Setup My Google Home?
Now, if you have a Google Home smart speaker at home, here is how you can set it up.
- Plugin your Google Home and factory reset it if it has already been used before.
- Turn on your mobile/tablet data or connect your mobile/tablet to the wi-fi network you will be using for Google Home. Also, open the location and turn on the Bluetooth.
- Open the Google Home app on your mobile/tablet now.
- Tap on Get Started > Set Up New Devices > Create Another Home > Next and then label your device if you have more than one Google Home device at home.
- To set up more than one Google Home, tap Add + appearing on the top left corner and follow the same steps as above again.
2How Do I Get Google Home App
Google Home app is important to set up any of your Google Home devices. You can easily download the Google Home app from the Google Play Store or the App Store.
3How To Set Up Google Home Multiple Users
Once you know how do you set up Google Home, it is now to add all your family to it. Multi-user support is now available on Google Home. Setting up multiple accounts on a single Google Home enables family members to have their own playlist. To have their own music accounts and everything that makes Google Home work as if they are its sole owner.
Here is how you can add multiple accounts on Google Home easily.
- Open your Google Home app (latest updated version).
- You need to log in with your Google account to get started if you are using it for the first time.
- Next, you will have to teach google your voice by tapping in the top right corner. For this, tap on Assistant Settings.
- Tap on Voice Match under popular settings. Now, add your Google Home device by clicking on Add Devices below. You need to keep your wi-fi network open to enable the Google Home app to search your device.
- Once it’s detected, you will be asked to say ‘Hey, google’ and ‘Ok, Google’ out loud to get Google the knack of your voice.
- Once this is done, you can tap on Add Connections, i.e., your family members, by simply tapping on ‘invite home members’ shown on the screen. Send invites to your home members, whereby they have to download Google Home on their own device and personalize their Google account.
- Google Home allows up to six accounts to be added to any Google Home device such that these six relatives or persons are invited to connect to your Google Home device just like you can, and it will respond based on their personalized settings.
- You can also see which family members are connected to the Google Home speaker anytime by tapping on Settings > Linked Accounts.
- You can also remove them by tapping on the account of the person you want to remove. Thereafter tapping on Settings> Home Members > Remove.
4How To Add Another Device To Google Home
It’s easy to add another Google Home device in your home to the Google Home app to set it up.
- Just tap on the left top corner (+) after opening the Google Home app.
- Tap on Set Up The Device for Google Home app to detect your new Google Home device.
- Once it is detected, you can add your detected Google Home device to an already created room or create a new room by adding a home nickname and home address.
- Click on Set Up devices and then click on ‘Set Up New Devices In Your Home,’ it will then ask you to choose a home. You can choose the already created rooms or create a new one.
- Now, click on Next to enable the Google Home app to find your new Google device. Once it is detected, click on Next and follow the instructions.
5How To Connect Google Home To A New WiFi
Follow the instructions below to connect Google Home to new wi-fi:
- Open the Google Home app
- Tap on your device added to the Google Home app.
- Now, tap on the top right corner and tap on Settings > Wi-fi > Forget this network
- You will be redirected to the Home screen.
- Connect your mobile device to the wi-fi network you want Google Home to now be connected to.
- Set up your Google Home device again as you did in the beginning.
- Open the Google Home app.
- Click on the top right corner of your profile
- Tap on Home app settings > Clear Saved Wi-Fi Networks.
- Now, set up your Google Home device again by connecting your mobile device to your new wi-fi network.
6What All Can You Do With Google Home
- Use Google Home to listen to music from your favorite music streaming apps.
- You can also use it as a Bluetooth speaker to listen to music, audiobooks, podcasts previously stored in your mobile, or any other Bluetooth enabled device.
- Ask Google Home to play songs of a particular genre or ask the lyrics of a particular song.
- Set reminders, set calendars, to-do lists, shopping lists with the help of its Google Assistant.
- It can even help you make a phone call and find your recipes for dinner.
- Takes up multiple commands without hassle.
- It can tell bedtime stories from Disney and Nickelodeon.
- You can set routines in Google Home as well, and it will respond to you accordingly. For instance, if you say, “Google, I am leaving,” it may tell you about your commute, traffic update, related news, etc.
What else can you do with Google Home? The list goes on. As is evident, you can have a lot of fun with Google Home. Further, configuring and setting it up is easy as well.
Follow the steps we have mentioned above, and you should know how do you set up Google Home.