UPDATED February 10, 2022 This piece has been updated to reflect the emergence of new technology
Christian Mathews Security Writer
So you want to know how to set up SimpliSafe. You’re in the right place.
As an individual who loves DIY projects, you’ve probably had a project you just couldn’t complete. And you’re not alone. According to Comfy Living, an average of 4 DIY projects get completed per year.
However, this DIY project on how to set up SimpliSafe shouldn’t be one of those projects you fail to finish.
If you haven’t done a DIY project before, don’t worry, with this simple and easy guide you should be able to know how to set up SimpliSafe successfully, and hopefully get to join the wonderful DIY community by putting in one of the best self install home security systems.
1How to set up SimpliSafe– DIY or Professional Installation
Both options have their own merits, however, when it comes to how to set up SimpliSafe DIY should be the obvious choice.
SimpliSafe have carved a niche for themselves by maintaining their stand on keeping it simple, always.
With the simple installation and the set up taking very little of your time, half an hour max, there’s no reason for you not to DIY this project. And if that’s not enough, the SimpliSafe setup is rigged for you to win.
However, I may have failed to convince you to opt for DIY. You could also go through this easy-to-follow guide, but still not get it, and it’s okay. You can opt for professional installation by certified technicians from SimpliSafe, and they (SimpliSafe) promise it’ll take less than an hour to finish the entire setup.
Professional installation by SimpliSafe technicians’ costs about $79
2How to set up SimpliSafe base station
This is the first step on how to set up SimpliSafe.
Before we get to that, here’s a couple of things you need to do/ be aware of.
- SimpliSafe motion sensors can’t differentiate a person from a pet. So to avoid triggering any false alarms, follow SimpliSafe instructions on how to set up your motion sensors. (i.e. if you have a cat(s), place the motion sensors at least 10 feet above the floor with the button side facing upwards. If you have a dog(s) or other pets that weigh more than 30 pounds/about 13.6 kilograms, place the motion sensors 4 feet above the floor with the button side facing downwards.)
- Unpack the SimpliSafe package, and begin to plan how and where you’ll install the various components. For the base station, identify the most central location in your house as well as where you can easily plug in the base station to a reliable power source.
- Put on your game face (and probably some music), you’ve got this.
Here’s how to set up SimpliSafe base station
- Identify the most central location in your house, and preferably close to a power outlet/socket.
- Place the base station on an elevation position (not on the floor), i.e. on a countertop, on top of a table/bookshelf, etc.
- Remove the battery tab from the base station.
- Plug in the base station to the power socket/outlet using the provided cable.
If you did this correctly, you should hear “Alarm off” from the base station and see a blue light flash at the bottom of the base station.
And just like that, you should’ve successfully set up the base station.
3How to set up SimpliSafe keypad
First off, peel off the battery activation strip.
- Follow instructions on the keypad’s screen to set your master pin. The default pin for all SimpliSafe devices is 1234
- Once you’ve identified where you’ll place your keypad, peel off on the film covering the adhesive strip, then press the keypad to the wall for at least 30 to ensure it sticks properly. (Ensure the surface you place the keypad on is clean and even)
- With the keypad firmly in place, you can slide the keypad up to remove it from its bracket.
Try to ensure the keypad is within the range 10-100 feet from the base station.
4How to set up SimpliSafe motion sensor
First, peel off the battery activation strip.
- Place the motion sensor on a shelf/tabletop, approximately 4-5 feet above the floor. Alternatively, you can also attach it to the wall using the provided adhesive.
- If you have cats, you might need to place the motion sensor at least 6-10 feet above the floor.
- If you don’t have any pets in your house, you may want to place the motion sensor at the top of the corner in the room to get maximum detection coverage.
Do not place the sensor near other electronics.
5How to set up SimpliSafe camera
This should be done once you’re done setting up the entire system.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Separate the camera from the stand by sliding it away.
- Plug in the micro-USB to the port on the camera. Slide the camera back onto the stand, then plug in the cable to a power socket.
- Open the SimpliSafe app on your phone to begin the installation.
Once successfully set up, the SimpliCam should have a blue status light on, as well as a smaller red light below it.
6How to set up SimpliSafe smart lock
This procedure is quite demanding and you may require professional installation, but it’s doable
- First off, you’ll need to have Single Cylinder Deadbolts on your door.
- Next, you’ll need to install the SimpliSafe smart lock as shown here.
- Attach the PIN pad on the wall close to /outside the door.
- Slide off your (main) keypad from its bracket, then bring it to the main door.
- Add the Smart lock by going to the menu on the keypad, then to devices and “Add Device”
- Select “Lock”, and your SimpliSafe Smart lock will be added to the system.
You might not get the “Lock” option as you try to add it as a device, in which case try updating your SimpliSafe system from your keypad.
7How to set up SimpliSafe alarm system
Once you’ve set up your SimpliSafe devices, all you need to do is arm the system from the keypad and you should be ready to go.
You can choose to get an additional siren but the base station has a sufficiently loud siren.
If you don’t opt for either of the 2 paid monitoring services, all you’ll have is a very loud siren going off any time your sensors are tripped.
If you opt for the paid monitoring, here’s how you can set up your alarm system
- Note somewhere the serial number on your base station.
- Visit https://SimpliSafe.com/activate, to activate your alarm system subscription
For 72 hours, your account will be in test mode, meaning only the sirens will work. However, after 72 hours, the dispatch service will be available.
8How to set up SimpliSafe with Google Home
One thing to know is that to use this option you must subscribe to SimpliSafe’s premium paid subscription. The $24.99 per month tier to be precise.
Here’s how to set it up:
- Launch the Google Home app
- Tap on the + icon
- Click set up device
- On the “Works with Google Option”, click on the one that says “Have something already set up”
- Click on the search icon, then search for SimpliSafe
- Go ahead and enter your SimpliSafe details, and complete the setup.
With all this SimpliSafe how to install, you should be able to know how to set up SimpliSafe and actually complete the installation yourself.
Something to always remember, you can’t reset your master pin for SimpliSafe by yourself. You’ll have to request SimpliSafe to reset your entire system. To avoid this inconvenience, try to set a pin you can easily remember, but still hard for someone else to figure out.
It’s also worth noting that before setting up your devices, try to check if they’re working. To do this, press the “test” button, which should make it flash blue light, and also cause a prompt to appear on the keypad asking you to name the device.